Pages

Monday 5 December 2016

Chapter 2 and a moped wash.



Well, I blasted through the first chapter exercise which was great, it got me writing straight away. I didn’t really understand why it started with so much focus on teachers but maybe that’s just because I haven’t yet got one.

This weekend I was in Marrakesh, crazy place and I only mention it as an excuse to put a picture on here. That said, I suppose it is still relevant because studying a book in all the chaos was more or less impossible. 

Anyway, here's a picture of a moped wash and garage. What?

Chapter two contains a mountain of information in thirty or so pages covering character, plot, character vs plot, narrative viewpoints and dialogue. There’s a lot to take in but it reduces the writing process down in such a way that I feel I could knock out a novel on a spreadsheet. Certainly, that’s always been the way I’ve imagined writing, working out the details of each character how they interact and then the actual words will be easy! I know it’s not going to be like that but I like the wording in the book where it casually says “Once you’ve finished your novel…”

So, the exercises at the end of chapter two are on their way, the first of these gets me to create a character from bits and pieces of well-known people, I won’t go through the process. I’m deliberately being vague because I don’t want to stop people buying the book which you can do here.

The second exercise gets me to re-imagine a scene from Middlemarch by George Eliot in a more up to date style.

Better get on with it then, hadn’t I?

Back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment