Pages

Sunday 11 December 2016

Ouch! Shock Development.

When I started this blog, I tracked down one of the ladies who wrote it and asked permission to use her book and blog my results, progress and impressions of it as I went. I heard nothing until last night when she wrote to me and said '...we do not give you permission to use the exercises or quote from the book.' That's quite a slap in the face given that I've bought the book and was doing my best to promote it. In my humble opinion, it is a good book and I think that my final assessment would have been pretty positive. Frankly, I didn't ask for permission to quote from the book and if I can't use the exercises then it might be fair to consider asking for a refund.

It is however, only one book out there in a large market and I will now get on with starting a new one. I have gone for 'Back to Creative Writing School' by Bridget Whelan and will endeavour to avoid the same issues again. Largely by not sending a polite enquiry to the author and also by continuing not to quote from or giving away too much of the book. Let’s face it, if anyone has the stamina to read weeks of my blogs to try to glean the essence of a writing course and all for the sake of saving the cost of a book then good luck to them. My recommendation will always be to buy the book if you like what you see here.

Lesson learned, back soon with my first impressions of the new book.

No comments:

Post a Comment